Eighth and Concluding Generation: (34 – 57).

This ship is The Tunisian, which is the same ship that all four of the following families crossed the Atlantic Ocean on between 1901 and 1910.


I am calling this the “concluding generation” only insofar as this book is concerned. Needless to say, there are hundreds, if not a thousand, more recent relatives who are attached to this family. However, I am concluding this book here in conjunction with the most recent Census statistics that are available to us – the 1911 Census in two countries, Canada and England.

There were four known members of this GEE family who emigrated to Canada. They were:

1……….. Elizabeth Frances Gee – 1902 (settled in Plumas Manitoba).
2……….. Alice Maria Gee – 1904 (settled in Unity Saskatchewan).
3……….. Sarah Ann Gee – 1908 (settled in Prince Edward Ontario).
4……….. Francis James (Frank Gee) – 1910 (settled in Unity Saskatchewan).

Elizabeth and Alice, who were sisters, as far as some members of the family know, never saw each other again, once they left England. Although this was probably a chain migration, their only correspondence was through letter writing, telling the English relatives of the opportunities in Canada – never the hardships. Even though Alice moved to Portage La Prairie, which is roughly 70 kilometers (45 miles) south east of Plumas, in the 1920’s the road system in the western prairie provinces was primitive and Eliza and Arthur had no money. Travel in those days was done with teams of horses; uncovered wagons in summer and cutters (uncovered sleighs) in winter.

What is very sad is that when Aunt Hetty went to Portage La Prairie to finish her Grade eleven, her Aunt Alice and her son were living there and no one knew about it. Instead of boarding with Mrs. Wild, Hetty could well have lived with her aunt and perhaps not have been so homesick.

In this final chapter, I have included some biography’s and auto-biography’s, that tell how life was in the early part of the 20th century on the prairie provinces of Canada, from the actual people who lived it. Aunt Hetty’s biography I have included elsewhere.

            ~~FIFTH GREAT GRANDSON of Ralph Gee of the Ashes:~~

34……….Thomas Lawrence GEE (8) (John Thomas GEE-7, Thomas GEE-6, John GEE-5, Thomas GEE-4, Ralph GEE-3, Francis GEE-2, Ralph GEE-1) was born circa 1869 in Edale . He married Eva Victoria DODDS (1875 -) in June 1894 at St Matthews Church in Hayfield. She was the daughter of Samuel Pedley DODDS and Mary Ann Newel GADDERER. (Her brother, Samuel Dodds married Thomas` sister, Sarah Ann GEE). They were residing at the ASHES farm in 1911; however, his father was still the owner.

Children of Thomas Lawrence GEE and Eva Dodds were:

a……….. John GEE born 1897 in Kinder and died on the 14th November 1916 in Hayfield, Derbyshire.

John GEE enlisted in the British Army in Glossop in 1914. He enlisted as a private in the Cheshire Regiment, first joining the 2/6th Battalion. His roll number was 3645.

Formed at Stockport on the 7th of September 1914. Then on the 22nd November 1914 he went to the Cheshire Brigade, Welsh division at Northampton replacing the 1/6th Battalion. Then in December 1914 he went to Cambridge. On the 22nd April 1915 he was then mustered to 204th Brigade, 68th division at Northampton. August 1915 to Bedford. Then on the 22nd November 1915 they absorbed the 2/5th Battalion, Welsh Regiment. September 1916 he was next in the Lowestoft area. In March 1917 they were in Yarmouth. July in Southwold where it was disbanded on the 11th September 1917.

John never made it to Yarmouth. In preparation for the transfer over the channel to the Theatre of War, he was inoculated and died on the 14th November 1916 as a result of it. He died in the Theatre of War, albeit at home.

b……….. Eva Margaret GEE born in September 1899 in Kinder.

In 1911 both John and Eva were living at and attending the endowed Secondary School in Bakewell.

            ~~FIFTH GREAT GRANDDAUGHTER of Ralph Gee of the Ashes:~~

35………..Mary Isabella GEE (8) (John Thomas GEE-7, Thomas GEE-6, John GEE-5, Thomas GEE-4, Ralph GEE-3, Francis GEE-2, Ralph GEE-1) was born circa 1870 in Hayfield, Derbyshire. She married Robert PORRITT (1863 -) in 1892 at the All Saints Church in Glossop. They produced one child. Mary Isabella R Porritt (September 1895 – December 1905).

This family appears to become extinct. I only found one child for them in both the 1901 and 1911 English Census. In the 1911 census, Mary Isabella was visiting her family at the ASHES farm and her husband was listed at # 1 Thorpe Lane, Denton. Called Thorpe Lane Farm, Moorside. Occupation was “DAIRY FARMER”.

            ~~FIFTH GREAT GRANDDAUGHTER of Ralph Gee of the Ashes:~~

36……….Sarah Ann GEE (8) (John Thomas GEE-7, Thomas GEE-6, John GEE-5, Thomas GEE-4, Ralph GEE-3, Francis GEE-2, Ralph GEE-1) was born in April 1872 in Hayfield. She married Samuel Pedley DODDS (junior) (1872 -) in March 1895 at St Matthews Church in Hayfield. He was the son of Samuel Pedley DODDS and Mary Ann Newel GADDERER. (See number 33 previous). They immigrated to Canada, leaving Liverpool, England in March 1908 and arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia on the 10th April 1908. They crossed the Atlantic aboard the Tunisian with six of their children.

Children of Sarah Ann GEE and Samuel Pedley DODDS were:

a……….. Samuel Pedley DODDS was born on the 16th July 1896 in Denton, Lancashire. Samuel enlisted in the Canadian Army on the 25th March1916 at Picton, Ontario, Canada. Regiment #636427.

b……….. John Gee DODDS was born on the 14th December 1897 in Denton, Lancashire. John enlisted in the Canadian Army on the 22nd January 1916 at Picton, Ontario, Canada. Regiment # 636427.

c……….. Brian DODDS was born on the 14th May 1899 in Hayfield, Derbyshire. Brian enlisted in the Canadian Army on the 08th February 1916 at Picton, Ontario, Canada. Regiment # 636606.

d……….. Marjory DODDS was born in September 1902 in Hayfield, Derbyshire.

e……….. Hero Isabel DODDS was born in June 1905 in Hayfield, Derbyshire. (She was named after Samuel`s sister, Hero Jeannie Dodds (1873 – 1892).

f………..Phillip DODDS was born in September 1906 in Hayfield, Derbyshire.

g……….. Ada Millicent DODDS was born on the 02nd July 1909 in Prince Edward, Ontario.

h……….. Josephine Mary DODDS was born on the 18th January 1910 in Prince Edward, Ontario.

i………..Roger DODDS was born on the 18th January 1911 in Prince Edward, Ontario.

FOOTNOTE:..Three of their 9 children served in World War I and they all survived the war.

            ~~FIFTH GREAT GRANDSON of Ralph Gee of the Ashes:~~

37………..John Frederick GEE (8) (John Thomas GEE-7, Thomas GEE-6, John GEE-5, Thomas GEE-4, Ralph GEE-3, Francis GEE-2, Ralph GEE-1) was born in September 1874 in Hayfield and he died on the 17th December 1921 in Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire. He married Frances (Unknown) circa 1902. They had two children: John Francis GEE (1903 – 25th December 1967) and Dorothy GEE (1908-?).

John Frederick – called Fred – was living at Silk Hill Farm when he died in 1921.

     ~~FIFTH GREAT GRANDDAUGHTER and GRANDDAUGHTER-in-law of Ralph Gee of the Ashes:~~

38………..Hannah Jane GEE (8) (James Albert GEE-7, Thomas GEE-6, John GEE-5, Thomas GEE-4, Ralph GEE-3, Francis GEE-2, Ralph GEE-1)was born on the 29th November 1884 in Woodhead, Cheshire and she died in April 1973. She married James William SHIRT (1889 – ) in December 1910 at the Holy Trinity Church in Edale. James was the son of John Fox Shirt and Mary TYM (who became her step-mother when Mary married her father, James Albert Gee). (See number 43 following). They produced 2 children: John Gee SHIRT (20TH February 1911 – August 1989) and James William SHIRT (1914 – 1992).

FOOTNOTE: SEE THE WILL OF MARY TYM previously published.

            ~~FIFTH GREAT GRANDSON of Ralph Gee of the Ashes:~~

39………..John Thomas DRINKWATER (8) (John DRINKWATER-7, Sarah GEE-6, john GEE-5, Thomas GEE-4, Ralph GEE-3, Francis GEE-2, Ralph GEE-1) was born circa 1887 in Derbyshire. He married Nellie BATES (1884-) in 1904 at the Christ Church in Derby. Nellie died in London. They produced one known child: Alfred William DRINKWATER (25th November 1907 – 1933).

            ~~FIFTH GREAT GRANDDAUGHTER of Ralph Gee of the Ashes:~~

40……….Georgiana DRINKWATER (8) (William DRINKWATER-7, Sarah GEE-6, John GEE-5, Thomas GEE-4, Ralph GEE-3, Francis GEE-2, Ralph GEE-1) was born circa 1879 in Glossop. She married Frank TAYLOR in 1904 at St Johns Church in Charlesworth, Derbyshire. They had seven children.

            ~~FIFTH GREAT GRANDSON of Ralph Gee of the Ashes:~~

41……….George William SHIRT (8) (William Gee SHIRT-7, Ann GEE-6, John GEE-5, Thomas GEE-4, Ralph GEE-3, Francis GEE-2, Ralph GEE-1) was born in June 1867 in Edale. He married Helen (Unknown) in 1888. They had three children: George Harold SHIRT (1889 – ); Willis Phillip SHIRT (1892-1915); Margaret Nora SHIRT (1896-).

            ~~FIFTH GREAT GRANDSON of Ralph Gee of the Ashes:~~

42………..Benjamin Somerset SHIRT (8) (William Gee SHIRT-7, Ann GEE-6, John GEE-5, Thomas GEE-4, Ralph GEE-3, Francis GEE-2, Ralph GEE-1) was born in March 1874 in Edale and he died on the 20th December 1952 in Bradwell, Derbyshire. He married Ada BRADWELL (1872-) in September 1897 in Yorkshire. They had two children: William H SHIRT (1898-); Susannah B SHIRT (1900-).

            ~~FIFTH GREAT GRANDDAUGHTER of Ralph Gee of the Ashes:~~

43………..Mary Susannah SHIRT (8) (William Gee SHIRT-7, Ann GEE-6, John GEE-5, Thomas GEE-4, Ralph GEE-3, Francis GEE-2, Ralph GEE-1) was born in March 1878 in Edale. She married Charles SMITH in 1906 in Chapel-en-le-Frith at Towns Ends Wesleyan Methodist Church. They had one known child: Charles Roland SMITH (1909-).

  ~~FIFTH GREAT GRANDSON and GEAT GRANDSON-in-law of Ralph Gee of the Ashes:~~

44………..James William SHIRT (8) (John Fox SHIRT-7, Ann GEE-6, John GEE-5, Thomas GEE-4, Ralph GEE-3, Francis GEE-2, Ralph GEE-1) was born circa 1889 in Edale . He married Hannah Jane GEE in December 1910 at the Holy Trinity Church in Edale. Hannah was the daughter of James Albert GEE and Annie Pearson. (See number 37 previous). They produced 2 children: John Gee SHIRT (20TH February 1911 – August 1989) and James William SHIRT (1914 – 1992).

            ~~FIFTH GREAT GRANDSON of Ralph Gee of the Ashes:~~

45………..Francis James (Frank) GEE (8) (Alfred Henry GEE-7, Frank GEE-6, John GEE-5, Thomas GEE-4, Ralph GEE-3, Francis GEE-2, Ralph GEE-1) was born on the 27th January 1877 in Edale, Derbyshire. He married Hannah Unknown in 1901 Nottinghamshire in England. They produced three children in Edale, losing one child on the 11th January 1910 when the boy only two years old. They immigrated to Canada in 1910, leaving Liverpool aboard the Tunisian, in April 1910 and arrived in Quebec on the 15th May 1910. One more child was born to them in Canada.

The following narrative was taken from Hetty`s diary:

Frank (Frances James) born 1877 lives at Cut Knife Saskatchewan. Frank Gee came to Canada, Unity Saskatchewan in 1910 and stayed with Aunt Alice until he built a moveable shack. Aunt Alice was then living in a sod shack. When Frank moved he found out that Tom Roberts, (Alice’s husband) was an afternoon farmer and had only thirty acres broken and was in debt. So Frank rented thirty acres from John Roberts (Tom’s brother) but found it wasn’t suitable so moved away and took a quarter section that had been homesteaded and partly broken.

The man who owned this quarter section had died and his widow lived in town. There was no house on it so Frank towed his shack on to it. On the next quarter was a man named Stepton who arranged with Frank to go half on expenses including groceries and all of them lived in his good house. Stepton had been over in Canada ten years from Cheshire.

The next year Frank and Stepton had 270 acres of crop to harvest. They cut during the day and stooked morning and evening working eighteen hours a day for a month, except Sundays. They worked together for a year or two then Frank’s quarter was sold so he went further north and homesteaded and bought another quarter, giving him a half section near Cut knife.

They had the dry years too and hailstorms. Frank is now retired and lives in town one house from the church. They made him the peoples’ warden. He has a plot for a garden where he grows all the vegetables they need. He was seventy two years old January 27th, 1949.

Before coming to Canada he was a driver on the railroad but being warned by the doctor of a heart condition, he quit before they fired him and came to Canada to work with more exercise.

He sold his house and buildings to his son-in-law Russell Hewson (daughter Gladys’ husband). He had a large farm at the time and kept 14 work horses.

   ~~FIFTH GREAT GRANDSON and Grandson-in-law of Ralph Gee of the Ashes:~~

46………..Arthur Ernest GEE (8) (Alfred Henry GEE-7, Frank GEE-6, John GEE-5, Thomas GEE-4, Ralph GEE-3, Francis GEE-2, Ralph GEE-1) was born in September 1880 in Edale. He married his first cousin, Mabel Gertrude COOPER (1887-1925) on the 17th January 1912 in at St Matthews Church in Hayfield. (See 46 following). He secondly married Rose (unknown) circa 1927 in Edale. Rose died on the 08th December 1943 in Derbyshire.

The following narrative was taken from Hetty’s diary:

Arthur Ernest Gee: [he is the one doing the narrating] as stated previously, married his first cousin Mabel, who died February 19th, 1925. After Mabel died, I hired a middle aged woman named Rose as housekeeper. She looked after Sidney so well, I married her in 1927. In 1932 I had a new house built; the one I live in now.

In 1941 Rose took ill with cancer and after being bed fast for six months, she died December 8th, 1943. Sidney went into the army November 5th, 1939 and did not come out until March 1946. From Rose dying until Sidney came home I was on my own. Working seven days a week.

I worked as a steam raiser in engine sheds for forty five and one half years.

I came home in 1897 after being in farm service for three years and soon after went on the railway but was not tall enough for the foot plate. So after eighteen months, I left and went on the Midland Railway but promotion was so slow, I gave up the idea of being an engineer and took on a permanent job in the sheds as I wanted to save some money to get married.

I married Mabel Gertrude Cooper, Aunt Emma’s daughter and Norman, her brother, married a person from Staffordshire. Mabel and I were married on 17 January 1912, Mabel’s birthday. We went to live in a farm cottage until 1919 until the cottage was needed for a farm man.

We had to leave and could not get a cottage, so went to Dad’s [Alfred Gee] home as his second wife died in 1910. Dad, Charlie and Fred were managing on their own except for a day girl. We went there in the spring and Dad died on the 10th December 1919.

Children of Arthur Ernest GEE and Mabel Gertrude COOPER were:

a…….First one stillborn.

b……Frances Norman Gee died April 1st, 1917 age eight months. He never seemed to do any good.

c…….Albert Sidney Gee was about two months old when we came back home. Sidney was a poor thing for several years and we should have lost him but for a doctor who had just come from a big Canadian hospital for children. [This was probably the Toronto Hospital for Sick Children – founded in 1875]. He said if we’d do as he told us, he’d make a man of him in three months. And he did. He [the doctor] was a Scotsman but the prescription he gave me for the chemist was a stunner for the chemist. He [the chemist] said in all his life’s experience he had never come across that.

The following excerpt taken from Hetty’s diary:

Albert Sidney Gee (Arthur’s only surviving child): on leaving school was apprenticed to engineering at Chatsfield and at 21 1/2 years old was called up for the British Army, 05th November 1939. He did his training at Canterbury and was in France by the time he was twenty one. His mob was evacuated from Cherbourg 2 days before Dunkirk.

He was in the Royal Signals and was made motor mechanic to their unit. They spent some time in England erecting telegraph communications up the east coast to Scotland. From there they went to Ireland for about three years. Then to North Africa, then to Italy and followed the army up on line J. Advance until they packed up.

Then they went down to the coast to wait for the furcast, but the Japs packed up before they got started. Although not often in the fighting line, they were often bombed behind the lines.

He got de mobbed in March of 1956 and went back to his old job.

Sydney went with Alf Andrew to see Harold Andrew at Romiley, near Stockport in Cheshire.

Sydney married Violet Bean on the 20th September 1947 and had one daughter: Christina born on the 2nd September 1948.

  ~~FIFTH GREAT GRANDDAUGHTER and GRANDDAUGHTER-in-law of Ralph Gee of the Ashes:~

47……….Mabel Gertrude COOPER (8) (Emma Jane GEE-7, Frank GEE-6, John GEE-5, Thomas GEE-4, Ralph GEE-3, Francis GEE-2, Ralph GEE-1) was born on the 12th January 1887 in Gloucestershire and she died on the 19th February 1925. Mabel died of pneumonia. (See number 46 previous).

            ~~FIFTH GREAT GRANDSON of Ralph Gee of the Ashes:~~

48………..Norman COOPER (8) (Emma Jane GEE-7, Frank GEE-6, John GEE-5, Thomas GEE-4, Ralph GEE-3, Francis GEE-2, Ralph GEE-1) was born circa 1889 in Edale and he died in 1931. He married Sarah A LOWE (1890-)in 1913 at St Matthews Church in Hayfield. They produced 5 boys and three girls.

The following narrative was taken from Hetty`s diary:

Norman Cooper – married Sally and they had 8 children (5 boys and 3 girls): Girls are Dora and twins girls, Gladys and Elsie. Two girls are married and have one son each. One son is married who was in the war six and one half years [WW 1] contracted diphtheria in Germany and left him with a weak heart. 2 sons work on home farm and 2 near home. Norman Cooper died 1931 after being ill with sugar diabetes for 2 years.

Emma made her home with her son Norman and his wife Sally but after Norman died things did not go smoothly. She developed high blood pressure and did some funny things but said she had never done them. She got worse of course. This complaint was worriable and a Doctor had to see them once a month. The doctor at Hayfield had hinted at her going in the Union as Sally could not manage her any longer. Emma took to getting whiskey from somewhere.

My wife and I (possibly Arthur and Rose) went up to Hayfield in August of 1934 and we brought her back with us for a month we said. She got worse, my wife looked after her very well, but I had to be firm with her. She died here on the 21st March – age seventy five years old and is buried with Mabel at Stavely cemetery.

FOOTNOTE: Emma outlived both of her children.



The EDINGTON School was torn down in 1955. This small one-room school was located in the middle of nowhere and served the surrounding farming district for 57 years. There were usually between 15 and 20 children attending the school, with the teacher teaching all 8 grades. Between 1898 and the 1930’s any child that wanted grade 9 and up had to go to a larger center, which was Portage La Prairie 45 miles away. Those children had to “room and board” with a family in Portage for the school year. Room and Board cost $10.00 per month and was difficult for most families to come by. High School education in the early days was expensive. Eventually a High School was built in Plumas and Neepawa and other larger towns nearby which were only a few miles away and children then could stay home while attending High School.

This is the little one room school that all of the Andrew children attended. Some of the Andrew grand-children also attended this school. This cairn is an exact replica of the old school.

            ~~FIFTH GREAT GRANDSON of Ralph Gee of the Ashes:~~

49. John Henry (Harry) ANDREW (8) (Elizabeth Frances GEE-7, Frank GEE-6, John GEE-5, Thomas GEE-4, Ralph GEE-3, Francis GEE-2, Ralph GEE-1) was born on the 01st June 1889 in Hyde, Derbyshire and he died on the 11th June 1970 in Kelwood, Manitoba, Canada. He married Clara Jane McCUTCHEON (11th January 1898 – 1979) in September 1914. Clara was daughter of Andrew McCutcheon and Lillian Simpkin. Clara was also the sister of Blanche McCutcheon (number 48 following). They produced seven children. (Henrietta, Louisa, Sydney, Eunice, Violet, Arnall, Marie.)

The following narrative was taken from Hetty`s diary [the story in these brackets is mine as told to me by a living cousin]:

~(Narrator is Hetty Lindstrom)~

When Harry was a boy of four years of age in England, the truant office caught him by the leg and told him to get to school. Well mother had quite a time proving to the officer he was only four years old. He was big for his age.

Harry was smart in school and had his sixth standard before leaving England. He had a hard life after he came to Canada. He was only a lad of thirteen [in 1902] but had to do a man’s work and D. McLaughlin was a hard man to work for. He had them up early in the morning and had them working after dark in winter. Harry was working with Dad to buy food and clothing for the family.

Mr. McLaughlin gave them a blood mare on their wages and she was practically useless. But Harry broke her in to drive. Harry was a good horseman. If he couldn’t drive a horse, no one could. He handled balky horses and mean ones.

(I (Angela Andrew) have been told a story that happened to Harry Andrew as a teenager. In those days of the 1905 – 1910, in Manitoba, when it snowed, everyone was home bound. The farm was 6 miles from Plumas. Roads were blocked. Sometimes the snow was so high on the roads, only the top of the trees along the road allowances stuck out. Temperatures dropped to 50 below zero. Sometimes the only way out was on horseback, walking or teams attached to cutters. Burying the dead was impossible. That had to wait for spring when the snow melted and the ground unthawed. When someone died, what did they do with the dead? They stored them somewhere safe but frozen on the farm. Now Harry (John Henry) was working for this man on his farm as a farm hand and the old farmer died. What to do with him? The family put the deceased man on top of the grain in the granary, waiting for spring when they could bury him. Harry had to feed the animals daily and he would draw grain from the hop at the base of the granary. With the movement of the grain and the weight of the body, every so often, the deceased old farmer would slide to the bottom, near the opening of the hop where Harry was drawing grain for the animals. And it was Harry’s job to drag him back to the top of the grain pile. As I have been told, Harry finally had enough of this, quit the job and went home.)

Harry worked out and his wages went home to Dad and he worked out hard brushing and breaking land with whatever they had to use at home. Part time it was Black Charlie Bull and Oxen. They had to do so much hard labor by hand, cutting down trees and grubbing out roots and picking stones, digging wells and building buildings. Harry always milked the mean cows that the rest of us couldn’t milk.

Harry homesteaded with Edd and Sydney but he threw it up and bought a farm in Molesworth close to Collin Baxter’s place. He was in love with Edna Baxter. They planned to be married but Dad gave the money to Harold [in England] that Harry was to get when he was twenty one years of age. Harry had planned to pay for his farm with the money and he was so disappointed that he turned Edna down and life has been a down-hill slide ever since.

I can remember how nice he used to dress and he was so neat and tidy. He always had a light and a dark suit.

I will never forget his driving Pony he thought so much about. We asked him if we could drive her to school. She was such a nice fat horse and nice to handle. He said we could take her but we mustn’t turn a hair the wrong way. So we were very careful, as I always feared Harry. He slapped so hard. Dad drove her to Plumas one day in the winter and she dropped down with paralysis. Harry went to town and put her in the livery barn and stayed with her night and day and had the vet [attend her] but she died. The vet told him it was because she hadn’t had enough exercise. Well he felt so badly he said he’d never kill another horse from care. And truly he hasn’t.

I wonder if he remembers the time I was learning to milk (I was nine years old) and I was stripping away at a cow. He gave my stool a kick and I fell off it and spilled my milk. My cow ran off as the cows were loose in the corral. If I didn’t cry, I felt like it. I was nervous of animals and he laughed at me.

I remember the day he and Clara were married or was it the day after. Clara and I drove in the buggy up to Glenella and on to Glencairn and out to McCutcheon’s where we all had supper and big dance afterwards. It seemed to me then they had such a big long table. I believe we danced until seven o’clock in the morning. It was too dark to see to go home.

There was a Grain Growers Box social in Tenby the following night and Dad said we couldn’t go to Harry’s wedding dance if we didn’t go to Tenby. So when we got home we got busy making boxes and Dad took us to Tenby in a big heavy wagon. Well we had a good time as we always did in those days. Never missed a dance all night. But when we all got piled into the rough old wagon, jolting along, we were so tired we lay down and went to sleep. I can remember “Chummy” [Henry Thomas] was with us that night. The last time I remember him being with us.

If Harry would only have written this in place of I, it would have been better. He would have remembered much more. I remember when he bought Topsy. She kicked and bucked and bit [so much] that he had a hard time getting a bit on her. But when he got it on he used her until she quieted down.

I remember the time we had driven twenty miles up to the Riding Mountains with Minnie on the buggy, Beatrice, Edith and I to pick raspberries. I guess we hadn’t found them soon enough to get our pails full and get home before dark. It was very dark when we got to Harry’s. We thought we’d stay there until morning.

The road was all prairie trails Harry’s and home and the mosquitoes were bad and it was seven miles [to home]. Well Harry wasn’t home and the door was fastened. We were afraid to go into the house as he used to tell us he left a loaded gun, so if anybody broke in, they’d be afraid to come in. Don’t know if he really did, but we were afraid, so we took the quilt we had we had along [with us] and slept in the barn. Well, Topsy was loose in the yard and we were afraid she might get the door open and come in and trample us. The mice they ran around our pillows. So by daybreak we were up and off for home. We could have stayed at Baxter’s or Gork’s but Beatty and Edith had boyfriends there so the folks wouldn’t let us stay there.

Harry and Clara lost their first baby. I can’t remember when they left the Molesworth district and moved to Glencairn. The farm he now lives on is very stony and they are big ones. I wouldn’t have the courage to make a living on it. He has raised his family but he has never been able to improve his home surroundings and now his health is gone and he is too old to expect to make much.

When I was teaching at Ivanhoe School I drove up with Harry to Glencairn one evening and spent the weekend with them. That night in the beautiful stillness of the evening under the starlit sky in the open buggy, Harry sang “The Bay of Biscay”. He was a lovely singer and it sure sounded grand. I will never forget it. Oh for times like those again. Louisa was just a baby then and such a good baby. She never cried. She seemed happy just to lay on the sofa by herself. I remember too that weekend I taught Clara how to make escalloped potatoes.

I always knew what to get the children for Christmas as neither Clara nor Blanche were handy at sewing. So at the start I tried to give each one a dress or rompers or something in that line. But as time went our Mother had thirty five grandchildren so I go so I couldn’t keep up with them all.

Harry used to go to the Riding Mountains every winter and cut wood for logs and sell it. The settlers up there could always sell wood at the grocery stores and buy flour, etc.

Harry has a few sheep, chickens, pigs and cows and even though he has never had much of this world’s goods, a neighbor of his who was a stranger to me, Mr. Wilson by name, tells me he is honest. He said one time when the family were sick and had to have a doctor and hospital care, he loaned him money. Mr. Wilson said he didn’t know how he could but Harry came to him one day and paid back half the amount he had borrowed and said he knew he would pay the balance as soon as he could. Well, praise the Lord for that. It could be worse.

            ~~FIFTH GREAT GRANDSON of Ralph Gee of the Ashes:~~

50………..Edwin (Edd) Arthur ANDREW (8) (Elizabeth Frances GEE-7, Frank GEE-6, John GEE-5, Thomas GEE-4, Ralph GEE-3, Francis GEE-2, Ralph GEE-1)was born on the 30th October 1891 Hyde, Derbyshire and he died on the 19th October 1949 in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. He married Blanche McCUTCHEON (16th March 1898 – 13th January 1979) on the 06th JANUARY 1915 IN Glenella, Manitoba. (See number 48 previous). They produced seven children. (Alfred, Wilfred, Harold, Russell, Pearl, Phyllis, Merle).

The following biography is taken from Hetty’s diary:


I came to Canada from England on my eleventh birthday, October 30th, 1902. I was born at Hyde, Cheshire. We landed at Plumas, Manitoba, Canada and we all drove out to the farm in a wagon.

We worked out and gave Dad our wages and we worked at home, brushing, breaking, hauling wood, and building buildings until I filed on a homestead at Agardsley, Manitoba in 1908.

I stayed around Plumas until 1910. Well I remember Mother going to a picnic with seven children and only fifteen cents for treats. I borrowed some money from a friend “Henry Thomas” to give to mother for the picnic.

That summer we milked twenty cows. The same Henry Thomas, better known as “Chummy” was respected by all who knew him, brought his gramophone and records to our home so we could have music. We had few pleasures then apart from the love of a large family. A fine old bachelor named Glen Smith used to bring candy and oranges for the little ones and sing songs to them.

Our homesteading days were not all sunshine. Before the drainage ditches went through we had to go through sloughs where the horses had to swim and there were no roads through the thick brush. Then, too, the hay in the sloughs gave the livestock swamp fever (for lack of cobalt salt we now know) and we lost horses and cattle before we knew the cause.

I worked on drainage ditches and kept post office for four years [at Agardsley, Manitoba. Agardsley is no longer there]. Blanche and I were married and had five kids on the homestead. We also lost our home and all of our belongings by fire caused from an overheated stovepipe.

In 1925, I sold out at the homestead and moved to Roche Percee, Saskatchewan to work in the coal mines. Roche Percee means “pierced rock.” First to see the coal in this area would have been the Natives. I don’t know if there is any record of them using the coal though. Assiniboine, Chipewans, Sioux and Cree were all here as early as the 1700’s.

In the spring of 1926 I went to Parry, Saskatchewan and then back in the fall to the coal mines at Roche Percee. In the spring of 1927 I started farming at Parry but the drought had started and in 1929 I went back to work in the coal mines. Phyllis and Merle were born at Roche Percee. Came back to Parry and stayed until 1932.

Then in 1932 we made a caravan and loaded up what we could haul and we drove horses from Parry to Kelwood, Manitoba. We had very little money, about eleven dollars. So we baked bread while stopped and grazed out stock and fed our chickens. Merle was about two and one half years old at the time. The journey took six weeks in covered wagons.

In 1937, we bought the place we are on now and moved on without horse or barn. It poured and rained for four days so we slept under the wagons. The Lord must have intervened or we would have died of pneumonia. This picture of my house was taken in 1947.

Mr. McCutcheon was of Irish descent. They had Robert, Blanche, Clara, George, Walter, Richard and Lillian.

Hetty says: In the summer of 1949 Edd and Blanche motored to Kenora and visited his relatives there. Then in late October 1949 they motored to Nipawin to visit the Frances and Dick Platt. They were on their way down to Parry to visit Hetty and Mel Lindstrom when Edd was taken seriously ill, cerebral hemorrhage. He was flown by plane from Dufoe, Saskatchewan to the Regina General Hospital where he received the best of care but his peaceful life ended at ten o’clock, October 19th, 1949.

He died without suffering, and as he had lived, peacefully. Regina funeral home took care of him and shipped his remains to Kelwood where he was buried on October 25th, 1949. All of his brothers and sisters were there and six nephews were the pall bearers. There were many beautiful flowers and he rests just at the left as you go into the cemetery at Kelwood.

            ~~FIFTH GREAT GRANDSON of Ralph Gee of the Ashes:~~

51………..Sydney ANDREW (8) (Elizabeth Frances GEE-7, Frank GEE-6, John GEE-5, Thomas GEE-4, Ralph GEE-3, Francis GEE-2, Ralph GEE-1) was born on the 17th March 1893 in Hyde, Derbyshire and he died on the20th April 1972 in Rapid city, Manitoba. He married Julia Ann HAYWOOD (17891-1954) on the 03rd of November 1920 in Rapid City. They produced seven children. (Irene, Gordon, Ray, Cecil, Lloyd, Kenneth, Avis).

The following narrative is taken from Hetty’s diary;


Sydney was nine years old when he came to Plumas, Manitoba. He received part of his education under Edith McLaughlin at Eddington school.

When he finished school, he joined his older brothers working outside the farm and bringing his wages home to his father, Arthur.

His life was similar to Harry’s and Edd’s but he missed some of the early pioneering. He had a homestead with the others but gave it up when [Fred] was struck by lightning and came home and worked on the farm until he was married.

He had picked Julia Heywood (a descendant of the United Empire Loyalists) out as his choice when in his teens but it was not until years later that the final step was taken.

He learned to run a steam engine and helped the neighbors with threshing. He also was called upon to give his mother a hand around the house when the twins were small; consequently he learned to bake bread, amongst other household chores.

And we girls will never forget how kind he was and so thoughtful to take us out with him when going to parties, etc. We couldn’t have gone if we hadn’t had Sydney to take us.

After Syd and Julia were married (03rd November 1920) they lived near Plumas for almost 10 years. Then in 1931 they sold a carload of cattle, using the proceeds to purchase a farm near Rapid City. However, unknown to Syd, there was a mortgage on the farm and the mortgage company elected to foreclose and Sydney lost the farm so they went through some hard times. It was during the lean thirties, money was hard to make and Sydney had a big family to feed and clothe. His eldest daughter, Irene, had to go to work to help support the family.

He had hardships too but now owns a section of land at Rapid City, Manitoba with good buildings on it.

            ~~FIFTH GREAT GRANDDAUGHTER of Ralph Gee of the Ashes:~~

52……….Frances Elizabeth ANDREW (8) (Elizabeth Frances GEE-7, Frank GEE-6, John GEE-5, Thomas GEE-4, Ralph GEE-3, Francis GEE-2, Ralph GEE-1) was born on the 04th January 1895 in Hyde, Derbyshire and he died on the 12th of August in Nippawin, Saskatchewan. She was married twice. First to Merle BUSHFIELD (1888-1920) in August 1919. He died when she was pregnant with their first and only child, Kathleen. Secondly she married Richard PLATTE (1893-1974) in 1922 in Nippawin. They had four daughters. (Edna, Laura, Bernice, Ruth).

The following biography is taken from Hetty’s diary;


Frances was seven years old when we came to Canada. I can remember my Aunts and Uncles and playing with my cousins Emily, Florrie and Mabel.

The cow stable were always kept very clean, the cows stood in their stanchions (A framework consisting of two or more vertical bars, used to secure cattle in a stall or at a feed trough) when not out on green pasture. We had a barn where feed and grain were stored; also pig pens and chicken houses. But to me the thing I enjoyed most was our chain swing under a roof and the cats that were always fed in stone hewn receptacles.

Now as to crossing the ocean – Dad bought the Simmons’ homestead at Plumas, Manitoba, Canada in 1901. The Simmons had emigrated from Birmingham, England. We crossed the Atlantic Ocean on the liner the Tunisian. I was never sick a day. My teacher at Flowery Field School in England had given me a book and I would roam around with it or curl up reading it in the salon or I would watch the other passengers on the ship. (I, Hetty, understand I kept Frances busy getting milk for me to drink.) I saw them bury someone at sea who had died during the trip.

In Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, while at the immigration sheds, I wandered out to Portage Avenue and was chased down the muddy streets by some big white geese.

The trip from Plumas to the farm seemed like a very, very long way behind old Frank and Major in the wagon. The Simmons had supper ready, but we girls were so tired we were put to bed. Three of us slept in a packing box.

Next day I went outside and helped rope a calf and tried to lead it around, with the help of Eddy and Sydney. That night the big prairie fire swept over the meadows and all the neighbors, The Haywood’s’, Thomas’, Browns’, Chapman’s’, were all out fighting it.

How well do I remember those first years. The Canadian kids all made fun of us at school. How we broke in ox teams; hitched up old black Charlie (a bull); made ox yokes; and the scrubbing and breaking the boys and Dad did. The hay we put up in summer and always cows to hunt for on the open land and the brush; and to milk them. The insurmountable task Mother had to sew for all of by hand, then wash, iron, bake, knit stockings, socks and mitts.

Dad hauled wheat to Arden, twelve miles away, to grist at the flour mill there. The boys and Dad went to the bush and got out logs for our kitchen and kept us all fed and clothed.

I received most of my education at Eddington School and took normal training at Brandon, Manitoba. I taught school on a Third Class certificate for three years at Fry’s’ Saskatchewan. That would be Grade nine academic. Then I went to Portage, Manitoba Collegiate and got my grades eleven and twelve in one year. I took another term at normal and then I had a First Class certificate.

I got the school at Nipawin, Saskatchewan and taught several years, teaching twelve grades, to give the children in the back woods the same advantage as those closer to town. Here I met my fate, Merle Bushfield, in 1917. His mother and father were born in Ontario. Merle was born at Brockville, Ontario in 1868. He has three younger brother, Bill, Herbert George, and Alberta.

Dick Platte and Merle Bushfield were partners in a store on Joe Turn Bulls’ corner in Old Nipawin. When Merle died on February 8th, 1920, we carried on with the store until we sold it in the fall before Kay was born.

On the 11th October 1922 we moved onto the homestead I had filed for when Kay was expected, after her Daddy was dead.

I taught school in my home during 1923 and later we hauled up logs, hewed them and built a school house two miles west of us. All the residents helped build the gratis school building, cutting roads through the brush, blazed trails, etc.

The children walked through heavy brush to school every day, meeting bears on the trail and having to turn back for home and wait for the bears to go away.

In 1929 we had terrible brush fires which cleaned the brush off for miles and left me with a bad head hemorrhage for trying to brave smoke and fire in order to get through the blazing fire which raged most of the two miles between our house and the school, where my three tots were at the time.

However, I did get through to get my girls and for years suffered with my head, often collapsing at the most unexpected times.
In these early days, I was often alone here three months at a time with my children while their Dad was out working. Laura was born while I was here alone. Dick was away for a load of wood and on his return I supported her with my hands while he got help from a caravan camped along the trail some two and one half miles from our house.
Bunny was born with only Mrs. Sharpe in attendance. Such was homestead life. I would never advise anyone to homestead under the conditions we did.

The children grew up healthy and strong. All got BA’s except for Kay, who went to work in a bank.

Dick got started on market gardening and went into strawberries and spuds and made well. Later, he switched to registered seed which made him famous as a seed grower.

We now have a modern home with running water and electricity, a seed cleaning plant in the yard and a warehouse in Nipawin.

In winter, we go for trips, Mexico, Guatemala, USA, etc.

            ~~FIFTH GREAT GRANDDAUGHTER of Ralph Gee of the Ashes:~~

53……….Beatrice Catherine ANDREW (8) (Elizabeth Frances GEE-7, Frank GEE-6, John GEE-5, Thomas GEE-4, Ralph GEE-3, Francis GEE-2, Ralph GEE-1) was born on the 26th January 1897 in Hyde, Derbyshire and he died on the 23rd July 1974 in Kenora, Ontario, Canada. She married Frank GORK (1895-1957) on the 01st July 1918. He was the son of John and Annie Gork. They produced four children. (Pearl, Elgin, Keith, Ruby).

The following narrative is taken from Hetty’s diary;


When the Andrew family came to Canada, Beatrice says there were only thirty acres under cultivation. That would explain why Arthur, Harry and Edwin had so much brushing and removing roots to be done to make the rest of the three hundred acres workable. At that time they had three horses, Frank, Major and Billy to help them.

After the 04th March 1908, Beatrice stayed out of school when Connie and Jessie were born to help Mother with the work so she didn’t get past grade six. But she took up dressmaking when she was fifteen and became a dressmaker. She met Frank Gork when she was fifteen and it was love at first sight.

Beatrice had a very narrow escape after her children were born. She attempted to walk from the farm to Plumas in sub-zero weather with no overshoes, just a pair of pumps on her feet. Both of her feet froze before she arrived at Harry Heywood’s place. Harry knew what to do and not having any turpentine, thawed her feet out in coal oil. He saved her feet, but it caused her to wear a size five shoe instead of size four.

“I just recall one cold winter evening when the snow was very deep. Some of us smaller children were sitting on the back of the table eating dry bread and cow udder. (Our feet got too cold sitting on the bench, so we got onto the table) When a wrap came on the window and a voice said “I’m Lost.” You couldn’t see through the window for a heavy coating of frost. Harry slipped his overshoes on and went outside to bring her in.

It was Mrs. Gork. She had trudged through six miles of snow and drifts on foot, no road, and was on her way to Plumas, Manitoba which was six more miles away. She was going to get a doctor for her son, who was sick. She being a woman of around two hundred pounds or more, you know what she suffered.

No warm fur coat and flight boots in those days. After a hot cup of tea, Harry hitched up the team of horses and took her to Plumas. No telephones or automobiles in those days. The doctor took her home.”

[The narrator of this story was one of the Haywood children and it differs from Hetty’s version.  Hetty’s version, in her biography following, is probably more accurate.]

            ~~FIFTH GREAT GRANDDAUGHTER of Ralph Gee of the Ashes:~~

54……….Edith Anne ANDREW (8) (Elizabeth Frances GEE-7, Frank GEE-6, John GEE-5, Thomas GEE-4, Ralph GEE-3, Francis GEE-2, Ralph GEE-1) was born on the 20th January 1899 in Hyde, Derbyshire and he died on the 25th January 1966 in Neepawa, Manitoba, Canada. She married Harry SINGLETON (1886 – 1970) on the 26th December 1917. He was the son of Edward Singleton and Mary Jane PYECROFT. They produced three girls and one boy. (Eva, Isabel, Clayton, Leween).

In Hetty’s diary there is no biography for Edith and not very much written about her. But the best way to describe Edith is to compare her to “Annie Oakley”.

She received her education at the now extinct Eddington School. However, her great love was the outdoors. She was a fearless rider on her pony and she was scared of nothing.

Hetty says “I remember one time at thrashing time, the cross bull got loose; Edith was the one who got him back into the barn and tied him up.”

Hetty says: “Another time I remember her driving us to school with Mike and Dinky. The team of horses spooked and the team and wagon became a run-away. She lay back with all her weight on the lines and braced her feet against the front of the sleigh to hold them.

Hetty says: “Only once did I see her afraid. That was when she was sliding down between the straw stack and the boar pen and she feared she’d fall in head first into the pen. The pen was boarded and woven wire to the roof and the door fastened on the outside.”

Edith lived life to the fullest. On the night of the 25th January 1966, Edith and Harry (her husband) went dancing. As was their custom, she danced the opening waltz with Harry. This one was followed by a one step and then she enjoyed a lively polka. She sat down, her head fell back, and Edith was gone (at the age of 67 years). She lived life to the fullest to the very last moment.

            ~~FIFTH GREAT GRANDDAUGHTER of Ralph Gee of the Ashes:~~

55………..Hester Victoria ANDREW (8) (Elizabeth Frances GEE-7, Frank GEE-6, John GEE-5, Thomas GEE-4, Ralph GEE-3, Francis GEE-2, Ralph GEE-1) was born on the 16th February 190 in Hyde, Derbyshire and he died on the 15th July 1984 in Weyburn, Saskatchewan. She was married twice. First to Samuel THOMAS (-1942) on the 25th August 1924 in Parry, Saskatchewan, Canada. They produced two boys. (William and Rae). Her second marriage was to Melvin LINDSTROM (-1978) on the 22nd November 1944 in Weyburn, Saskatchewan. They had no children together.

Hetty’s Biography located elsewhere.

            ~~FIFTH GREAT GRANDDAUGHTER of Ralph Gee of the Ashes:~~

56……….Jessie Alice (Twin) ANDREW (8) (Elizabeth Frances GEE-7, Frank GEE-6, John GEE-5, Thomas GEE-4, Ralph GEE-3, Francis GEE-2, Ralph GEE-1) was born on the 04 March 1908 in Plumas, Manitoba, Canada and died on the 25th June 1997 in Langley, British Columbia, Canada. She married Gordon BOYD (1912 – 1994) on the 18th August 1940. They had one girl. (Coral).


I and Sister Connie were born on the 04th March 1908 on Friday, a stormy day. “Mother was 43 years old and Dad was 50 years old. So the story was told, Arthur was in such shock at having two babies to care for, that he ran away from home for three weeks.”

Dr. Stewart and Mrs. Mowbray attended. We weighed four pounds each; could both lay nicely across a chair at first. (Hetty speaking: How I remember that day when we came home from school we could only go to the kitchen and I remember peeking down into the front room to see the two babies on the chair.)

We grew well and when I was about three years old (being a nosy little character) one evening my folks were having the country school marm for supper. The table was all set with white cloth and pretty dishes. A huge pot of tea set on the corner of the table (for we were a family of ten). I climbed up on a chair right by the tea pot; my chair tipped and I grabbed the teapot, spilling it all over me, with the result that I got a very bad scald, and to this day I carry a scarred shoulder and some on my neck also.

At the age of fourteen (1922) we quit school (having our grade VIII) to help on the farm as Mother’s health was failing. The work was too much for her. Then in the spring of 1927, Fred left home for Parry, Saskatchewan and it seemed to us like half the world was gone. For Fred and Connie and I had some grand times together. Home was never the same after Fred left. It seemed to be all work after that. And I think the worry and work was too much for Connie for she became anemic.

Then we lost our precious Mother on the 26th July 1932. We held her in our arms as she drew her last breath. Since then we have had many heartaches.

We struggled along at home. Connie was now married to Bill. One day in the fall of 1934, 28th October, I went out to the barn to help milk the cows and found Dad dead in the yard. He had gone to do the chores, but his time had come.

I remember one day, 26th April 1944, we experienced one of the worst prairie fires ever known. A high south wind all around us. Everyone was out trying to save what they could. Connie and I were out too and wee Corrie (Coral) almost smothered by smoke and Deny at school. How the Lord spared us, He alone knows. I never want to see the like of it again. Connie had four horses badly burned on the prairie just trapped by the fire. Everyone told her to shoot two of them. But the good Samaritan that she is worked and bathed and doctored them and pulled them through. Three weeks later they were well on their way to recovery and are now the best work horses she has.

            ~~FIFTH GREAT GRANDDAUGHTER of Ralph Gee of the Ashes:~~

57……….Constance Emma (Twin) ANDREW (8) (Elizabeth Frances GEE-7, Frank GEE-6, John GEE-5, Thomas GEE-4, Ralph GEE-3, Francis GEE-2, Ralph GEE-1) was born on the 04 March 1908 in Plumas, Manitoba, Canada and died on the 09th November 1984 in Plumas, Manitoba. She married William Thomas LILLEE (1902-1948) in 1932. They produced one boy. (Dennis).


Connie married William (Bill) Lillee in 1932 in Portage La Prairie, Manitoba.

Connie and Jessie were only 9 years old when the last of their sisters left home.  The remaining sibling, Fred, brought in the cattle, but the milking of the cows was left to the nine-year old twins.  By this time, their father was almost 60 years old and their mother was nearing 53 years old.  The twins grew up doing hard work; milking cows, feeding calves, caring for stock.

They were also the care-givers for their parents during their final years.

The twins had to finally leave school when they were fourteen years old.  All of their older brothers and sisters except Fred had now left home and now it was up to the three of them to help and care for their ageing parents.  Work seemed to take most of their time, but as they grew older they would take in all the dances and social events with Fred.  The girls rode horseback and during summer many miles were ridden hunting cattle every day for evening milking.  In those days there was open range and the herd would sometimes travel for miles during the day.  The girls would often ride their horses twelve miles to a dance.  Jessie would ride her favorite horse, Bell, at the Plumas fair.

Then in 1927 Fred also left home and the girls were left on their own with their Mother and Father.  A young Englishman came to work on a neighboring farm in 1928.  His name was William (Bill) Lillee.

The Andrew farm was only about a mile and a half from where Bill was working so he often got invited for Sunday dinner where he enjoyed talking about home.  The fact that Mr. Andrew had two pretty daughters just a bit younger than he wasn’t bad either.

Bill trained in World War I.  Bill was only 16 years of age when he joined the British Forces, the 12th Royal Lancers, serving for three years during the Irish Rebellion in Ireland. After his discharge in 1922, he was highly recommended by his commanding officer and was hired to work at Buckingham Palace for the Prince of Wales ”Edward”.  He rode second horse behind the fox hunt and valeted for the Prince for three years.  He broke colts to ride at the Re-Mount Depot at Melton Mowbray’s and valeted for Colonel Gilbert Greenall.  Although he was a first class jockey, he tired of public life in England and immigrated to Canada in March of 1928.

1930 was near the beginning of the “Great Depression” and dry years in Manitoba.  Farming was hard and work was difficult to find.  Bill and Connie were married in 1932.  Mother Andrew’s health was poor [she was bed-ridden the last year or so of her life] and she died in July 1932.  Denny was born in December of that year.

Connie was in poor health and spent three months in bed leaving most of the care of the new baby to Jessie.  Bill spent the winters out at the old farm and worked where ever he could find work during the summers.  At one time he worked on a labor gang on the new Kenora to Fort Francis highway.

Their father, Arthur did in October 1934.  Connie, boil and Jessie stayed on the old farm until it was sold.  [The farm was lost to back taxes.  $800 was owed.]

During the summer of 1937 while on the rented farm Connie was putting the cream can in the well where it was kept cool; a lamb jumped over the opening and fell in.  Connie got a length of strong rope and climbed down the inside of the well.  Boards about five feet long had been nailed across one side to form a ladder but their condition was unknown.  She climbed down thirty feet to the water and tied the rope around the sheep and then climbed back out again.  She couldn’t pull the sheep up from the well as the fleece was waterlogged and it was too heavy.  She tied the rope to a post so the lamb wouldn’t sink and sent Deny on the run to fetch Mr. Madill (Bob’s father) who lived ½ mile west.  The two were able to pull the lamb out and he was saved.  So was the drinking water!

Then Connie and Bill, in 1938, purchased a farm 2 miles west of the home quarter section.

Then World War II broke out and Bill re-enlisted, this time with the Royal Winnipeg Rifles, in 1942, leaving Connie and Denny on the farm.  When they disbanded, he transferred to the Parachuters, and was stationed in Turo, Nova Scotia.  He was discharged in September 1945.

He became ill in October 1948 and died when his appendix burst.  The doctors couldn’t save him.

This left Connie on the farm with over $1000.00 in doctor and Hospital bills to pay. Their son, Deny, was only 15 years old at the time and quit school to help his mom on the farm.  Deny was forced to grow up very fast.

Connie got over Bill’s death and began seeing a man she had known from earlier days; Lloyd (Pat) Patterson.  Pat had been a prisoner of war in Hong Kong and Japan for four years.  The family had not expected him to return.  Connie didn’t know if she wanted to marry again, but they got along very well together.  They lived together for the next 28 years until his death in 1983.   His health had been greatly affected by his time spent as a prisoner of war.

Connie herself became ill in the summer of 1984.  She was told that she had cancer in her nose and she needed treatment.  The radiation did not go well with her and she died in Winnipeg on the 09th November 1984.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: